Gear Cutting

Up Gear Cutting Tool

My basic gear cutting setup.

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
These pictures are from my first attempt at cutting a gear on my Micro Mill with 4" Vertex rotary table.

This was just a scrap peice of aluminium and has no real use apart from holding my lighter than air screwdriver down.

 

 

 

 

   
I am quite pleased with the results, however I do need some more practice at grinding my cutters to the correct shape for gear teeth.

 

 

 

 

 

   
I used a standard 20` angle fly cutter to cut this gear and had problems with lining up the cutter to get proper straight teeth.

I will be making a now fly cutter that is not angled before I cut another gear.

 

 

 

 

   
This is the new fly cutter I have made.  I will try this one out later today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
Picture showing cutting in action with the new fly cutter and reground tool.  The tool is spinning at about 1500rpm and the camera still managed to stop it.

 

 

 

 

 

   
This is the finished attempt at my second go at gear cutting, hopefully this gear will be used in my T-Maxx radio controlled nitro truck.

This should end up as a reverse gear but still needs the clutch making and installing.

 

 

 

 

   
I used my newly made straight fly cutter and reground the cutter to give a better tooth shape.

 

I have been told that the teeth are to sharp, possibly due to a too deep cut.  I have checked the tooth depth and it is 2.16mm so I think that another tool regrind is in order.

I will master this task and then produce my own gears for my various hobbies.

   
Well I have cut another gear and this time it looks right and meshes well with the idler gear that it runs with.

The black part is the clutch that engages the gear only when the gear train is running fast enough.

 

 

   
 

Here is the gear fitted, directly below is the reverse selector fork and clutch bell.

I have ran my truck with the gear fitted and everything seems fine. Time will tell though.

 

 

 

   
This is a gear blank that I have turned down to replace the plastic gear on the right.

The original gear was made in two parts and joined together with a keyed joint that was also a weak point, I can see no reason why the new gear should not be made as one unit.

 

 

   
Here is the finished gear, I hade to use a very short cutter to cut the smaller end to prevent the cutter striking the larger end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
Side view showing the shaft locking peg hole. This gear is locked to the shaft via a pin that passes right through the gear and shaft, no bearing recesses were needed.

 

 

 

 

   
Here is the trial fit prior to de-burring the gear.

 

I have now greased up the gears and installed the gearbox and so far all is working perfectly.

 

 

 

Hit Counter